Wednesday 24 February 2010

Fourteen.


Right enough about other peoples and back to mine!

We have two projects on the go:

The theory of Gaia- This is project is on the theoryof Gaia, a very complex idea, but to put it simply it posits that the organic and inorganic components of the earth have evolved together as a single living, self- regulating system. For this project we have to produce a double page spread and a front cover of a magazine and dedicate it to a style of the magazine of our choice.

Instantly I had an idea for this project, using the elements of the earth for a studio fashion shoot. When in New York we went to the strand (an amazing book shop) and I found this book by an unfamiliar to photographer to me lucas Samaras. I actually wasnt to fond of his images within the book, it was more about his technique and use of gels... and the fact that it was only $9.95 :)


I couldn't find any images within this book on the internet, but this is the front cover and you can get an idea of the use of gels and colours. This gel idea will able me enhance this different elements so for example water- blue, earth- green, fire- red and air- white.

Another photographer that i have been hugely inspired by is Honker Akrawi who uses this ida of colour and movement creating a sort of creature style.






I really like this idea of the elements being and looking like creatures, either coming towards the camera or jumping in the air, intertwining with each other to show the bond that all elements are one.

Classic Fashion- For this project we have to produce 6-8 images that shows classic fashion with a modern day twist. I have racked my brains out with this project as there are so many possibilities but its just about finding the right and best one that expresses the project brief best!
My inital idea was to follow my love of Chanel using black and white in a simple studio set up with modern day clothing. This idea was made on the basis of my portfolio and having a set of image that display basic studio work, but after my tutorial it was evident that this idea didn't fill the brief and if it was to develop as an idea i would have to shoot on location. However, i really wanted to shoot in the studio for this project as on location means more effort of a bigger team, location lighting and waiting for the right weather.

After a weekend of complete desperation, i was writting up my guest speaker evaluation for Phil Toledano when i came across my notes..."I love reality, so always look at whats in front of you", automatically I came up with an idea and had to stop writting my evaluation and start writing down my ideas. Not like me at all my idea consists of 1930's-40's clothing and sex toys!! Women of that era, were always told what to do and how to behave acting as conservative women, but as the IIWW proceeded, women were becoming more powerful. I wanted to show this through the use of sex toys, by displaying something that they were hiding and cheekily showing it off.

I found Photographer Miguel Reverilego on the CLM agency website:


This theme, slightly risk taking and definitely not like any of my other work, but i'm looking forward to it and hope i can portray the image i have in my head in a studio shoot.

Now i've just got to research into outfits, go vintage shopping and buy sex toys, its a hard life ;)

Jessica x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers